Route Deviation (Regional)
RTS Genesee, RTS Livingston, RTS Ontario, RTS Orleans, RTS Seneca, RTS Wayne, and RTS Wyoming all provide Route Deviation.
Route deviation service is available in Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, and Wyoming counties. It runs on established routes with designated stops. The bus may deviate from the route to serve points within ¾ mile of the route, providing curb to curb service. After deviating, the bus will return to the point where it left the route.
Anybody traveling within the service area can use route deviation; it is not like complementary paratransit which is strictly for people with disabilities who are certified as eligible for the service.
All service is curb-to-curb for areas open to the public within the service area.
Customers reserve route deviation trips in advance and pay a premium fare.
Reasonable Modification Policy Synopsis
In accordance with the ADA, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and implementing regulations, we shall make reasonable modifications to policies, practices, and procedures when such modifications are requested and necessary to avoid discrimination based on disability.
We shall deny any request that will create a direct threat to the health or safety of others; or fundamentally alter the nature of services, programs, or activities; or result in an undue financial and administrative burden.
We may deny a requested modification if the individual with a disability is able to use services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose without the requested modification. It is not reasonable to request a modification simply to make the service more convenient or to suit individual preferences.
This policy applies to operations at all subsidiaries.
Making a Reasonable Modification Request
We recommend arranging reasonable modifications in advance when possible. If you cannot do so because you were unaware of a condition or barrier at your destination until arriving, you may make the request at the time of service. Employees at any subsidiary may consult with management before granting or denying the request.
To arrange a reasonable modification in advance follow these steps each time you need the modification.
- Call the office.
- Describe the modification you need and the reason you need it.
- Specify the date on which you need the modification and the length of time it is needed.
RTS Genesee 585.343.3079
RTS Livingston 585.658.4690
RTS Ontario 585.394.2250
RTS Orleans 585.589.0707
RTS Seneca 315.539.1844
RTS Wayne 315.946.5617
RTS Wyoming 585.786.6050
Reasonable Modification - Examples of Requests We Will Grant
Here are a few examples. This is not a comprehensive list.
- Requesting the bus to stop in a different location in reasonable proximity to a designated bus stop to avoid snow, ice, or an obstruction. However, the Operator will not pick up or drop off a customer at a non-designated location or far from a bus stop.
- Handling fare media. However, the Operator will not reach into a customer’s purse or backpack.
- Asking to eat or drink onboard if necessary for medical reasons.
- Asking to take medicine, administer an injection, or conduct a finger stick blood glucose test onboard.
- Asking to board separately from a wheelchair or scooter if the combined weight of the person and the device exceeds the load limit of the vehicle lift.
- Asking for assistance with the use of securement system, ramp, lift, or seat belt.
Examples of Requests We Will Refuse
The requests listed below will fundamentally alter route deviated service. Our standard policy will be to decline these requests. Exceptions are possible only for contracted service. This is not a comprehensive list.
- Any request that requires the Operator to leave the vehicle unattended.
- Requests to deviate from the bus route and scheduled stops or beyond the established deviation distance (except within a reasonable distance to avoid an obstacle).
- Requests to provide personal services to a customer, such as entering buildings, opening interior doors, unlocking doors, or lifting a customer.
- Requests for door-to-door assistance (guiding the customer from the bus to the door of a building or vice versa).
- Driving onto private property (one-way driveway or gated community).
- Carrying luggage, bags, or packages.
If you believe we have not complied with the requirement to make a reasonable modification, you may file a written complaint by downloading and completing the Reasonable Modification Complaint form within 30 days after the date of the alleged violation.
You may file a written, formal complaint by: completing and submitting the Reasonable Modification Form to: RGRTA Legal Affairs Department, 1372 East Main Street, Rochester, NY 14609; or attaching the completed Reasonable Modification Form electronically to the online Contact Us form and submitting the information. We will conduct a review based on the submitted facts, the written complaint, and ask additional questions if necessary. We will issue a decision in writing within 30 days after the date of the review. You may also file a complaint directly with the Department of Transportation, Departmental Office of Civil Rights, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590. Phone: 202-366-4648 or TTY/Assistive Device: 202-366-9696
Accessible Reasonable Modification Complaint Form
If you require general assistance to submit a complaint, call 585-654-0771 during business hours. If you require language or disability-related assistance, call 585-288-1700 during business hours.